Moonlight Adventure Botswana 14-18 JULY 2022
PLEASE CHECK NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL COVID REQUIREMENTS:
• Facilitated by SADAC Travel and Adventure Riders SA, this is NOT a guided tour.
• This is a perfect opportunity to improve your riding skills and strengthen your network with like-minded people.
• The Expedition will start & finish at the Okes Coffee Shop in Modderfontein JHB GPS S26 05.699’ E28 09.577’
• The adventure is based around the Muddy Face Moonlight event hosted by Ross Branch & Lola Berri on the Southern Makgadikgadi Pans – Botswana Lola +26771216904
• The adventure will be open to all makes of Dual-purpose road-worthy motorbikes and 4×4 vehicles.
• All meals at the Muddy Face Event are for your own account (Budget R600.00pp) Dinner and breakfast at both Buffalo Thorn and the Kwadiwa Ranch is included in the travel package.
ONE ENTRY FORM PER PARTICIPANT (DEPOSIT PAYMENT OF R2500 MUST BE MADE WITHIN 5 DAYS OF REGISTRATION TO SECURE YOUR SPOT- BALANCE TO BE MADE IN FULL BY THE 16th JUNE 2022) If you register & pay between the 23rd April & 15th June and we are unable to go due to another lock-down or Border crossing is restricted you will receive a full refund.
No refunds will be paid if you wish to cancel after the 15th of June 2022.
ENTRIES CLOSE 25th JUNE
End of Service’
OKES COFFEE SHOP – MODDERFONTEIN
A detailed Itinerary will be provided on registration / prior to departure.
Space is limited:
Travel/Tracks & Safety
• Each vehicle/Motorbike must have a ZA sticker.
• The routes will be pillion friendly for those with experience and due to time constraints, we will need to travel on some tar and district gravel /sandy roads so please ensure that your skill levels are up to the challenge.
• We will have green and red route options.
• The Green/Orange route will mainly stick to tar roads as much as possible however you will need to travel on a short dirt section at some point. The Orange/Red route will be mostly planned to be on a district gravel road with a few single-track or goat sections in between. Please keep in mind that due to the location and nature of the terrain you could encounter some short shallow sandy sections on the gravel roads. You are guaranteed to have lots of fun on the pans at this time of the year.
• All the tracks will be available in a GPX format to be downloaded onto your Garmin device and navigated at your leisure or you are welcome to join the convoy of 4×4 vehicles led by our tour guide who will be stopping off at many interesting siting en-route to your next destination.
• Same will apply to the adventure bikes regarding the GPS tracks.
• Families, spouses/and partners are encouraged to join the expedition as either a pillion or as a passenger in a 4×4.
• There will be Adventure guides assisting and facilitating the ride between camps.
• We will have 3 first aid level 2 guides on the ride that will be able to assist in case of any mishaps along the way.
• Total distance to travel will be Est 2000km
• You can trailer to The Okes Coffee shop and park your vehicle/trailer there at no charge in a secure environment whilst we are away.
• We will have vehicles/trailers available to assist in the transport of your pillion luggage, tent, lightweight groundsheet, mattress, stretcher, chairs, and sleeping bag, you will need to carry your own luggage – clothing on your bike.
• Please inform the guides of any medical conditions you might have.
• All items should be packed in a weather/dustproof covering, NO black dustbin bags, please.
Paperwork / Documents
• No Visa is required for SA citizens
• Valid passport is required to cross into Botswana, check EXP DATE.
• A certified copy of your Vehicle/Bike and trailer papers can be requested at the border
• If the vehicle/Bike is currently financed, then you will require a letter from the finance house granting permission to cross into Botswana.
• One would need to notify your insurance & medical aid company that you will be leaving SA and traveling to Botswana
Camping & Site Set up
• Clean temporary Toilets and showers facilities will be erected by the Muddy Face event team. Bring your own towel and toiletries for all camping
• As it is winter there will be very few mosquitoes, but it is advisable to pack some sort of repellants.
• We will erect gazebos for the two-day setup on the pans.
• Firewood will be supplied for the bonfires and meals
• We suggest you buddy up to erect/dismantle your camping rig so try and keep it light and simple.
• Lightweight 2x man tents are recommended as space will be limited (NO BIGGER)
Currency & Financial
• Fuel, tolls, and border crossing taxes will be for your own account. Road tax est R220 per vehicle, R200 per trailer & R180 per Motorbike.
• NO lunches are included, NO food will be provided for whilst on the pans, and there will be food vendors at the event.
• Money can be exchanged at the bureau exchange the moment we cross the border at Martins drift.
• Current fuel price per lt P13.68 = R17.80 this could vary
• A R1235 fee per Bike/Vehicle is included in the package if you are a rider or driver, this will also cover your activities & camping on the pans, proceeds go towards Elephants for Africa https://www.elephantsforafrica.org/
• Current exchange rate is 1.30 Pula to the Rand (23/04/2022)
• Botswana does not allow you to ride a motorbike on their roads with a learner’s license from SA
• You may NOT carry Pillion at any time with a learner’s license.
• Out on the pans during the day temperatures in July can rise to 28 deg midday and drop overnight to 5 deg so pack accordingly.
• It is advisable to pack some snacks for during the day.
• Hydration pack is recommended whilst out on the bike.
• Bring along sun protection and required medication.
• The support vehicle will carry 2x coolers boxes (ice supplied) and 2x 20lt of drinking water containers.
• All items are to be clearly marked or labels attached.
• Luggage size will be gauged on what you would normally carry on your bike so no more than 40lt in volume p/p.
• You will receive a welcome response with banking details once we have received your online registration.
• Appropriate riding gear including protective boots will be compulsory for both rider and pillion, some riders prefer wearing an adventure jacket & pants, and others opt for their cooler endure gear.
• Days will be warm and nights very cool so pack accordingly
Tools/Spares and Support:
• You will need to bring along your own bike tools, spare tubes, or puncture repair kits including a compact compressor for your convenience.
• The support vehicle will carry a larger portable vehicle compressor.
• We will carry a spare front and rear Tyre for the more popular sizes, you are welcome to bring along your own to throw onto the support truck.
• Your bike must be prepped, checked, and maintained for this adventure.
• The expedition budget is based on self-camping on the pans and safari-style lodging for the first and last nights.
• No Deposit or payment paid will be refundable if you wish to cancel after the 15th of June 2022 (Please lsee further T&C on the registration form)
End of Service’